The museum’s collection consists of some 3,500 items and includes paintings, drawings, watercolours, medals, prints and sculptures by Swiss and international artists from the seventeenth to the twenty-first century.
Regularly presented to the public on the occasion of temporary exhibitions, the collection is the result of more than a hundred years of enrichment: by purchases, generous donations from artists and collectors, as well as prestigious longterm loans.
Mainly made up of works by Swiss and regional artists of the nineteenth and twentieth century, the collection of paintings includes works by Edward Kaiser, Cuno Amiet, Edouard Jeanmaire, Charles Eplattenier, Theophilus Robert and the Barraud brothers.
Among the most notable works of the collection is The Reader by Albert Anker (1882), acquired by the museum in 1882.
The prints in the museum collection currently contain more than a thousand works of Swiss and international artists such as Adam Call, Armleder, Auberjonois, Bonnard, Corot, Disler, Evrard, Giacometti, Goya, Hartung, Jacot, Jaquet , Le Corbusier, Luginbuhl, Matisse, Picasso, Toulouse-Lautrec, Villon to name only a few.
Every three years, the museum holds a major event dedicated to the printed art. It thus seeks to promote reflection about prints and printing and on the approaches of artists expressing themselves through this medium.